Skip to main content

@ the Dental Clinic.

Couple of weeks ago I drank some cold cola and felt a nerve killing sensation in one of my left upper molar teeth. Had been neglecting this dental condition for quite some time and I could not resist it anymore. So I decided walking upto the dental clinic nearby which I often visited while I underwent the RCT[For those who don't know what an RCT is - Its root canal treatment. They drill into your decayed tooth , fill it with a binding cement and in some cases place a cap of silver or gold or enamel.] The dentist there, gets her job done very smoothly and before you could realize she is finished with her job of cleansing, drilling, filling and polishing.

That particular day, doctor was already attending a patient and there was another lady waiting in the queue. I chose to sit near the entrance next to a pile of books. I picked one and started enhancing my knowledge on oral hygiene. A kid walked in with its mother. I pushed myself to the corner providing him some space to sit. He was special, a kid with down syndrome. He was bubbly, lively and enthusiastic. I kept the book down and engaged the rest of my waiting time with the new friend of mine. Oh yeah he considered me as a friend and I was more than glad when he said " Who are you? Are you my friend?" I said "yes". The smile on his face was worth a million. His mom had a smile too. She proudly said "He is a special kid of mine". He is close to 9 years now and can do most of his work on his own". I loved the positivity she was pouring in. I joined the conversation. He was attracted to the gadget in my hand. I opened up my gallery of random pictures. He was able to recognise most of the local animals - cats, dogs, cows, buffalo that were stored At the end of the slide show I opened up the Angry birds game to get him into an interesting mood. He loved the way the birds flew, each time he hit the boulders and as they crashed he jumped with joy. The next 10-15 minutes went by and we were two nice buddies. I let him go ahead of me for the doctor's visit. It was just a consultation the lady had told.

After my new friend waved a goodbye I went in and got a minute cavity fixed and filled, before I left the clinic. Each day is a new chapter in my life and this was an eye opener ~ Finding joy in simple deeds.

Comments

KParthasarathi said…
That shows the humane and friendly side of you.How many have the patience even to wait for their turn?
Good one!
Bikram said…
I think its always the little deeps that make us smile the most and for longer .

and you indeed are a lovely human being SO kudos to you ..

Bikram's
Jack said…
Ashwini,

I am so proud of you.

Take care
Rachna said…
Well done, Ashwini. And, really these small incidents stay with us and brighten our lives.
Sarah malik said…
I agree to d last line. We should always try and be open to new experiences :) very nice!


sarah
Ramya said…
Ah How I had blind eye on ur blog :'(
Such nice posts now on reading everything...
@KParthasarathi:hmmm Thanks. Actually it was just a friendly gesture..

@Bikram: Yes very true... Small things bring a huge smile.

@Jack: Thanks :)

@Rachna: hmmm :)

@Subtlescribber: Yes cos everyday is a new experience.Wecome to my little space on web..

@Ramya: Welcome to Unveil the other side.. Hope you find stuff that interests you. Keep visiting.



@
Rajalakshmi said…
very touching nice one, these small experiences teach us the way of life good keep it up
@Rajalakshmi: Yes simple things that brings a kind of satisfaction from within. The teachings that remain forever. Thanks for the read.

Popular posts from this blog

SUPW - Socially useful and productive work!

Say primary school or exams - it brings back memories of lot of fun filled activities along with the normal syllabus. Languages, Basic math,science and social studies are the ones included in the normal stream. The ones out of this are - General Knowledge, moral science, story telling, project work - these become the building block for a child's growth in a complete way. Last week an evening as I returned home, a neighbour's kid was waiting for me the enitre afternoon for help.He needed guidance to complete his project work. The school had come up with a concept to bring the creativity out of a child's mind.It goes this way - use the waste materials and create something useful - Socially useful and productive work(SUPW). SUPW is another learning area falling under the non-scholatic domain - This ensures that the students develop better understanding of their social and environmental issues. It also encourages students to take up varities of activities,which are productive a...

A cry not heard!

Ray of light far from sight All his need is a caring feed A place to sleep, a blanket to keep - the despodent waif Warm and safe Cruel men see the poor one plead, Emptiness filled hearts hesitant to share a part. On the pavement's corner sits this lad a bit. Weak and pale telling his tale None hear Do they feign fear? Hoping - is all he could do for some fresh hot stew Every passer-by down the lane Ignore this guy and all his pain Why is this scene not wiping off my brain Serene it Remains Revives time and again As I sit by the window of the train.

Tantrums of logging on.

It was a normal day when I was doing my usual work at office. A known tune started ringing on my cell phone. Without even checking the number/name flashing on the phone I knew it was from home - [Ring tone is set to the song " masakkali masakkali "] Dad on the other end wanted step by step procedure to logon to my laptop and then he needed to logon to gmail. We've (Sis and me)been telling him to learn this bit from quite some time now. Not that he is unaware of the keys,he does have first hand experience working with Url's and other computer basics while he was in his tenure. But this techie stuff is something that doesn't get onto his heads now at this age within a go. I proudly admire his attempt to learn and excel it. Now, it was a day when sis was still in Australia and Dad wanted to catch her online. Why now? Can we do it tomorrow .- Asked I. No we have some relatives at home, so it would be nice if we can get her online now - came the respone. ( Some relati...