Glass Painting!

Glass Painting!

I am obsessed with a new art work of-late and that's of course kept me pretty much occupied over the last couple weeks . I dont repent about it as I know my precious time was spent in something really useful.

Before I proceed further I'd like to share with you some research I made to find out the origin of the Art of Glass painting.

"The origins of the first stained glass windows are lost in history. The technique probably came from jewelry making, cloisonné and mosaics. Stained glass windows as we know them, seemed to arise when substantial church building began.

Before recorded history, man learned to make glass and color it by adding metallic salts and oxides. These minerals within the glass capture specific portions from the spectrum of white light allowing the human eye to see various colors.

Gothic stained glass windows are a complex mosaic of bits of colored glass joined with lead into an intricate pattern illustrating biblical stories and saints lives.

Medieval craftsmen were more interested in illustrating an idea than creating natural or realistic images. Rich, jewel colors played off milky, dull neutrals.

Stained glass artists became glass painters as the form became closer and closer to panel painting.

The Renaissance brought the art of stained glass into a 300 year period where windows were white glass heavily painted. They lost all their previous glory and it seemed the original symbolism and innate beauty of stained glass was forgotten.

Stained glass, or more appropriate art glass, is all around us today. An explosion of interest toward the end of the 20th century has given rise to many new and imaginative forms of this art. The rise of the individual artist, new technologies and the growing interest in stained glass as a hobby craft have all lead to what is being called A a new golden age in glass.
"


This was an extract from Art Glass Association.
For now I'd leave you with this note , Will come back with a series of the glass paintings -"Unveil My creation!" Soon ... Keep a watch on this space. The paintings are done, framed and only thing remaining is the right set of photos.

5 comments:

Amrit said...

Interesting

KParthasarathi said...

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your work

Bikramjit Singh Mann said...

oh yes reminds me , I moved into the house and had a stained window.. It broke for some reason and it cost me More to put hat single window then changing all the windows of the house ..

They are expensive VERY....

and yes all the best with it all , and get the pictures up of your work :)

Bikram's

chitra said...

I love the colourful galss windows in old churches.
Would love to see your creations too.

ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini said...

@A: Thanks.

@KParthasarathi: Hmm I have started with the series. The first one is out.

@Bikram:Oh oH that was sad.. Absolutely true these paintings are expensive when you go buy them. There today I have started with the Unveil my creation series. Check them out.

@Chitra: I love them too. I have an inclination to kaliedoscope from my childhood and always imagined the various colorful patterns I see through it and try to bring them on the paintings.

Journey of Love: Chapter 7: Discovering Deeper Connections

As the days turned into weeks and the weeks into months, Arjun and Latha found themselves drawn together by an undeniable force – love. They...