Skip to main content

One Guy's conversation skills

Taken by a ride with this Guy's wonderful statements. There is a not so tall , not so heavy Guy
in one of the neighboring teams at office. I write this article not to demotivate his learning
abilities , neither to insult his english conversation skills. Fluency is a great deal when it
comes to any new language. What makes one perfect is not the way he/she uses atleast 4 to 5 high vocab words in a sentence. What matters is that the meaning should reach across the table, the listener should be able to grasp what is being communicated. Do we really need "utilize" when a three-letter word, "use", will nicely suffice. "Risible" is a lovely word, but is it worth sending your readers to the dictionary when "laughable" is at hand? Isn't this a good question.

New to corporate world and also new to handling english at the pace today's MNC's are going at,
this Guy was hesitating to even utter a yes or a no.

Literal translations from the mother tongue is a common sight when it comes to those whose study background marks to rural schooling. This was a similar case. Once the team was out in a cafe shop to munch away their evening snacks and a little conversation out there goes this way -

Team mate 1: "Guy ,you need to put on some weight".
Guy : "Yes yes"
Team mate 1: "Eat some good food, it will help you gain weight."
Guy: " Yes I am eating chicken to enlarge my body"

Everyone bursts out laughing and the Guy learns the right usage of the word enlarge.

Next instance:
Team mate 2: "Why is that you go to tirupathi so often ?" To visit the temple ?"
Guy: "sometimes temple I go and sometimes to visit brother"
Team mate 2: "Oh so you and your brother spent the weekend together?"
Guy: "yes only two of us, no lady kid na.."

My goodness if this was not enough to bring you onto the floor, check the one thats below.

Team mate 3 to Team mate 2: "What are you doing?"
Guy comes in between the conversation and teases Team mate 2: "She is rotating around with her boyfriend"

Lol:)

Be what ever it , I should really say his determination has paid off and I appreciate the efforts
he is putting in every day to improvise. From simple yes and no with which he stepped into this
industry he has improved a time 100 . Great going Guy! Please keep entertaining us and I am sure to help you with all the right words. Not boasting about my vocabulary skills here. Trying to help and share with what I know. I am always welcome to critics for correcting me when I am wrong. That helps me learn and share again :)

-Ashwini

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SUPW - Socially useful and productive work!

Say primary school or exams - it brings back memories of lot of fun filled activities along with the normal syllabus. Languages, Basic math,science and social studies are the ones included in the normal stream. The ones out of this are - General Knowledge, moral science, story telling, project work - these become the building block for a child's growth in a complete way. Last week an evening as I returned home, a neighbour's kid was waiting for me the enitre afternoon for help.He needed guidance to complete his project work. The school had come up with a concept to bring the creativity out of a child's mind.It goes this way - use the waste materials and create something useful - Socially useful and productive work(SUPW). SUPW is another learning area falling under the non-scholatic domain - This ensures that the students develop better understanding of their social and environmental issues. It also encourages students to take up varities of activities,which are productive a...

A cry not heard!

Ray of light far from sight All his need is a caring feed A place to sleep, a blanket to keep - the despodent waif Warm and safe Cruel men see the poor one plead, Emptiness filled hearts hesitant to share a part. On the pavement's corner sits this lad a bit. Weak and pale telling his tale None hear Do they feign fear? Hoping - is all he could do for some fresh hot stew Every passer-by down the lane Ignore this guy and all his pain Why is this scene not wiping off my brain Serene it Remains Revives time and again As I sit by the window of the train.

Tantrums of logging on.

It was a normal day when I was doing my usual work at office. A known tune started ringing on my cell phone. Without even checking the number/name flashing on the phone I knew it was from home - [Ring tone is set to the song " masakkali masakkali "] Dad on the other end wanted step by step procedure to logon to my laptop and then he needed to logon to gmail. We've (Sis and me)been telling him to learn this bit from quite some time now. Not that he is unaware of the keys,he does have first hand experience working with Url's and other computer basics while he was in his tenure. But this techie stuff is something that doesn't get onto his heads now at this age within a go. I proudly admire his attempt to learn and excel it. Now, it was a day when sis was still in Australia and Dad wanted to catch her online. Why now? Can we do it tomorrow .- Asked I. No we have some relatives at home, so it would be nice if we can get her online now - came the respone. ( Some relati...