Confusing Coins.

Last week, an evening as I sit watching a reality show on TV, dad came home with a set of coins and placed two coins on my palm - heads facing up. He then asked me to guess their denominations. Instead of wondering why on earth he is asking me such a silly question, I rather concentrated on the coins. Without any hesitation replied back - Of course appa(Dad) they are one rupee each. He had a cunning smile on his face which revealed the signs of his victory. Yes he won the game. They were two different coins - 1 rupee and 2 rupees in denomination. I stood there gaping at the coins for a moment.

He then placed another pair of coins and repeated the same question. This time I was defintive than before. In a confident tone I said "You cant fool me around. These are 50 paise coins. Aren't they ?" He smiled again.
On no not again. They are of 50 paise and a rupee denomination , he replied. The confused me was now even more confused.

Beware people! There are new series of coins with improved design and revised size in the denominations of 50 paise, Re.1, Rs.2, Rs.5, and Rs.10 released recently. These new coins carry the new Rupee Symbol as well. Don't get duped as I did.

The 50 paise and 1 rupee coins are of same size , so is the old 1 rupee and new 2 rupee coins. Check before you hand out some change next time. Ensure you have the right number on the coins :)

I dont understand why they need to mint these varying size for the coins each time they release new series, causing a hell of confusion for the consumers. Are they reusing technology and modifying the existing plant to only change the number on the coin??

What are your thoughts??

Note: Snapshot of the coins - I'll post them later this evening probably once I get back home.

14 comments:

Sahana Rao said...

Yes Ashwini. It is confusing.
Imagine, you found it so difficult with vision, people who are blind must be facing more difficulty.

Rachna said...

You are right; I am always confused and need to double check to see which coin it is.

Sujatha Sathya said...

m going to double check each time now

Gowthami Nandigala said...

Ha,I am the one who overlook at times...need to check again when using them!

Irfanuddin said...

oh..yes, these coins do resembles so much to each other that anyone get confused....!!!

irfan

Kavita Saharia said...

Haaaa .Every morning my daughter offers a coin to a temple nearby her school-bus stop .This morning when i gave her one she told me ...mumma ,ye tumne America ka coin de diya .I double checked and assured her that it is an Indian coin.

ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini said...

@ Spicy Sweet: I really wonder how confusing it can get for the one who cant see.

@ Rachna @ Sujatha : Better check! :)

@ Gowthami: Careful..

@ Irfan: Yeah Irfan. Its better to have them double checked.

@ Kavita: So sweet of her.. She is trying to keep you aware of the changes.

Misterio Vida said...

ahan...so beware you people or someone will rob you of your precious little change :)

Amrit said...

I need to see these coins :))) Thanks for the information.

My personal opinion is, currency in the current form will disappear. I never have any cash with me. Always use Credit or Debit card......

Jack said...

Ashwini,

Read all pending posts. Congratulations on award. Nice to know something more about you. Thanks for information on August. So, the little girl enjoyed wet week end. Very good and meaningful poem, Fear. Nice photographs in Lal Bag, specially of the couple. I agree that it does get confusing whenever new coins are introduced. Thanks again for the tip.

Take care

PS : Visited your photo blog. Very Good.

Sunil Deepak said...

And imagine the plight of blind persons and those who have low vision! May be they just take decisions, without thinking of people! :(

ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini said...

@ Israr : Definitely!
@ A: I have clicked the picture.. Sorry have not uploaded them yet.. Will surely do that tonight..
@ Jack: Love your coming back and reading up all the pending posts.. Thanks for your precious comments.
@Sunil: I know.. How insane the decision makers are...:(

Soumyadeep said...

yaa..it becomes very difficult and it happened to me...

http://ideas-forum.blogspot.com

Ashwini said...

It is Ashwini here:

@Sowmyadeep: Hmm another victim .. You have a wonderful blog.. Welcome to my space...

Schoolhouse in the nature~ Fiction

 In a quaint rural village nestled amidst the lush greenery of Karnataka, there stood a small schoolhouse where Teacher Radha imparted knowl...