Nostalgia

Today's travel to office was different than usual. No, I am not talking about the weather. It was still the same bright and sunny day here in Bangalore, though we've already hit December. The time I commute these days have been shifted from wee hours (according to this generation - 7 am) to sunny afternoons (12:30 pm), an arrangement made as per my work requirement.

What made this day's commute special by the way?

Good news!! for new work time I get a company transport:). wohoooh!! I am the first one to be picked up which means the last one to be dropped as well :( However my cab driver, "Babu" who is a localite talks about various essence of life and keeps the momentum going (actually from his perspective). I try to provide my opinions and views whenever possible. This way we learn, share ideas and increase our knowledge. Topics range from Current affairs to an affair between two film stars:) ha ha ha!

Today, as we crossed one of the major traffic junctions, Babu turned on the radio. We heard ದಿ regular radio station lady talk about a listener's message. She was giggling all the way " ನಮ್ಮ ಶುಭ ಮೇಡಂ ಒಂದು ಸಂದೇಶ ಕಳ್ಸಿದ್ದಾರೆ - ಅವ್ರಿಗೆ ಈ ಹಾಡು ಕೇಳ್ದಾಗಲೆಲ್ಲ ಸ್ಕೂಲ್ ಡೇಸ್ ನೆನಪಿಗೆ ಬರುತ್ತಂತೆ. ಕುಂಟೆ ಬಿಲ್ಲೆ ಆಡ್ಕೊಂಡು, ಶುಂಟಿ ಪೇಪ್ಪೆರ್ಮಿಂಟ್ ತಿಂದಿದ್ದು .. .. , ಅಯ್ಯೋ, ಈಗ ನಿಮಗೆಲ್ಲ ಹಳೇ ನೆನಪು ಬರ್ತಾ ಇದ್ರೆ ದಯವಿಟ್ಟು ಮೆಸೇಜ್ ಕಳಿಸಿ" [Our lady Shubha, on listening to the previous song played has gone back in time. Memories of her school days, when she played Hopscotch,ate those tiny circled peppermint. In case somewonderful memories rushing down your brain, please message and send them across...] La la la la went on..

Aaahh! Those few words took me back to those wonderful days of being a carefree kid,
the days of joy. Riminiscing the sweet events of life we had a short conversation.

I - " Babu sir, do you remember those lemon golis we used to get for 5 paise each"
Babu - "Yes Madam, and also those orange slice shaped sweets."
I - "Yeah, shunti peppermint, haalkova[milk cake], huNsehannu lollypop [tamarind masala
sticks]. Today's kids might not even heard of these stuff I guess"
Babu - "Haan Madam, only burger, pizza and french fries is what they know"
I - "I remember those khulfi sticks, ajji kodalu or sonpapdi [the one brought by a vendor in
a gadi ringing a bell]
Babu - "Also games were so much a part of our lives, we used to play everyday on returning
from school"

I - "Yes, ice-spice, hopscotch, lagori, and me the naughty one used to leap from one building to another(No super-man powers dude.. but I was doing this then however I fear of it now), gilli-danda and the like. Today I see most of the kids involved in one hobby class or the other - dance class, swimming class, singing sessions, painting class. After this they attend tutions too. The lucky ones who need not go through this kind of torture are seen hooked to TV or computers." [I am not against those parents who send the kids to classes based on talent and interest, trying to talk of those who push their kids to every possible activity without knowing real interests]
Babu - " Very true madam. They have all the special priviledge today."

As were indulged in enjoyable recollection of past events the Radio jockey played next - an old kannada melody - " ಸದಾ ಕಣ್ಣಲಿ ಪ್ರಣಯದ ಕವಿತೆ ಹಾಡುವೆ .."

Perfect to those nostlagic memories. !!!

13 comments:

Amrit said...

Good. You have some one taking you to and from from work and interesting conversation :)))

Bikram said...

indeed nostalgia. those were the good old days .. in our village we would give the guy a bowl of Wheat and he would give us bowl of Sweets or that drink with a marble inside .. Or the cucumbers etc etc Kulfi tooo in those horrible iron holds ..

those were the good old days
Bikram's

Sujatha Sathya said...

yaaa shunti peppermint was famous :)

i used to have a favorite called 'sukkinundey' in our village - a round sweet made of jaggery. i dont know if its there in other villages too but last year when i had visited my native,i went to that shop just to have the taste of it again but sadly the shop had shut down! :(

you brought back memories

Deepsi said...

Yes yes I defenetely agree with you.. We share similar thoughts I should say.. Shunti peppermint,Katta Meetha, Ajji kudlu is now a thing of the past.. Kids these days need Cadburys Only.. Kids hv completely forgotten the games we used to play.. Kunte bille, Kanna Muche Gaade gude..Oh Indeed it drove me nostalgic!! Visit my blog sometimes too!! I hv in some blogs listed abt these issues!!

Sum said...

Yeah... made me nostalgic too... how much we used to play as kids!! Pity kids of these days... most of them don't even know what is playing outdoors like :(

Mishilicious Mishi said...

yup good old days..reminded me some of the memories too..well written Ashwini..and yes you are blessed to have some one like him to drive you, your journey must never be boring!

ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini said...

@A: You'd appreciate the fact more if you know bangalore traffic. Its horrible and am real lucky to get the transport arranged.

@Bikram: Yes good old days and the days gone by.. But memories linger .. Drink with the marble - we call it "goli soda" here. Aaahh... cucumber slices... mouth's watering.

@Sujatha: Sukkinundey I know... Ooralli sigatte .. Next time I go there I'll have to hit the store I used to often go to. If I find them will send out a message to you.

@Deepsi: welcome to Unveil the other side. Hmmmm you are right kids today dont accept the 1 rupee chocolates too.. Sure will hop onto your blog sometime soon.

@Mishi: No boring commutes. Last night I was discussing about this blog with him and he was so happy that I had mentioned his name on internet. Simple gestures like these brings happiness. I thanked God and at the end of the day I felt happy.

ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini said...

@Sum: hmmm pity is what we feel.. kids today are so technologically advanced that they order their likes on the net. Not sure if they will ever have memories of their childhood. ...

Sujatha Sathya said...

only message???? i want the undey :DD

ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini said...

@Sujatha: ade madam .. Message that I have brought the unde for you anta I will send.. ha ha ha:)

Sahana Rao said...

There are so many thinngs to feel nostalgic about AShwini. Really! Loved reading them.. We had life, we had friends, lesser pressure, cable TV was a rich man's asset, many times our parents said NO because they could not afford.
THOSE WERE SOME WONDERFUL DAYS!

ಅಶ್ವಿನಿ/ Ashwini said...

@Sahana: Ayyo neevu innu nenupagaLanna kaNmunde tandu nillisbitraaaa.. so nice were the days alva.. matte barali...

Priyanka said...

Hey Ash, lovely post. Good to meet you via the blogosphere. Nice to know that you know Sum as well. it indeed is a small world :P

Journey of Love: Chapter 6: Hilarity Ensues

As the train continued its journey, Arjun and Latha found themselves embroiled in one amusing situation after another. From navigating crowd...